Picamilon base is a type of dietary supplement produced when gamma amino butyric acid (GABA) and niacin (vitamin B3) are combined together. It is a nutritional supplement discovered in Russia in 1969 and is now being marketed as a prescription drug in that country. In the United States, it is being sold as a nutritional supplement.
Picamilon or nicotinyl-GABA has the ability to enter the brain unlike other nutritional supplements. When inside the brain, picamilon separates into GABA and niacin where the released niacin makes the blood vessels dilate indicating its potential as an effective treatment for migraine. GABA protects a person from having anxiety and panic attacks.
Picamilon protects against the effects of fatigue and stress without making you feel drowsy and tired. It makes you get through a stressful activity without feeling tired and burned out.
In Russia, Picamilon is used to:
1. Improve the flow of blood into the brain
2. Treat migraine headaches
3. Relieve the symptoms of depression
4. Treat severe injury to the brain
5. Treat the eye disease, glaucoma
6. Relieve the symptoms of psychosis
7. Treat the effects of excessive alcohol use
8. Treat asthenia or symptoms of muscle weakness